Thursday, July 1, 2010

No longer a classroom teacher Part 1: Leaving my current School

So, I've stopped being a classroom teacher. Not totally by my choice. Here is the story:

Synopsis: Liked the school, liked the principal. Principal is changing, don't like the new principal.

I've been teaching for two years, at a nice little school in Baltimore. There were definitely issues, but it was a place where my voice counted and improvements always seemed possible, if only people had enough time to implement them.

The principal was above average (n=~9 of principals I've been a student under, teacher under, or my parents have taught under). He left many decisions (including sizable budgets) up to individual teachers, department or grade-level teams, or the staff as a whole. He would probably be considered a strict disciplinarian, but I rarely heard him described as unfair -- if you did the right thing, you didn't get in trouble. Despite the school making 'significant gains' 3 of the 4 last years (true of only a handful of Baltimore Public Schools, and only a couple Baltimore schools without entrance requirements), and being the only 'non-criterion' school in Baltimore City to receive a state honor for excellence in education, he got significant pressure from the district. Because of this pressure, the principal decided to leave the school.

It is for this reason I decided to leave the school. The replacement principal has been working at the school as a part of her training for New Leaders for New Schools. I got the opportunity to know her very well while she was training, as I was the head of the Science Department. I didn't like what I heard (or rather, what I didn't hear). There was no vision for what education should be, could be. There was a tone of desperateness to get 'these kids' educated so they could have a better life. (It often sounded like we needed to do it in spite of the students, instead of with them, or assisting them). Some words and phrases, that were previously not used in the school, started popping up: comply, celebrate testing, ongoingly. The most surprising thing was that within a few days of the announcement to the staff (the students didn't know, and the leaving principal gave the new principal some room to make (and fix) mistakes before her first year) the students started disliking their experience a lot. I heard many students talk about transferring.

So this change at my school made me want to leave. I found two schools that I would REALLY like to work in, one in Philly, one in Baltimore. I got an offer from the school in Baltimore, and was pretty confident I had a good chance of getting an offer from the school in Philly if I hadn't pulled out of the process. So why am I not teaching? That will have to wait a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment